New layout taking shape

November 4, 2009

Saturday was a beautiful, sunny day and was perfect for visiting the house and taking some new photos.  Walking into the house it didn’t seem that too much was different other than the appearance of a new pile of lumber inside, but heading upstairs to the second floor was a completely different story.  Pun intended.

Since Wednesday, when the old chimney was torn out and all the old framing removed, new framing has started going up, outlining each of the new rooms.

Long view of first floor

Chimney holes in floor are patched

The holes in the floor where the chimney used to be are now patched and a new support beam runs the length of the first floor ceiling now, supporting the central line that runs from the front of the living space to the back bathroom that now has a built-in closet framed out.

Upstairs, where just a few days ago was big empty space is now brand new framing, outlining the beginnings of new rooms in a new layout.

Second floor with new framing

Standing in the front room looking through the studs to the second guest room and master at the back of the house

The master bath and closet is framed out as well.

Master closet frame-out

View from back of master looking at closet through to front of house

Share


Sunday photos

October 28, 2009

Since I haven’t had the chance to do this for the past several days, I’m going to try to share my Sunday photos via Mobile upload. I hope this works!

You should see:

1 & 2 – A front view of the house and Dottie waiting patiently while I poke around inside.

3 & 4 – The basement gutted.

5 & 6 – The beginning framing for the bathroom which will be at the back of the house where the back porch/exterior stairwell used to be.

Share


And the wall came tumbling down

October 23, 2009

The big change this morning: the wall between the old kitchen and the old back porch area is down (mostly) on the first floor.  I have to admit, I was so caught off guard as soon as I realized that I had forgotten my camera (it was safely at home and not in a puddle in the rain outside as I had initially feared) that I never made it up to the second floor to peek around, so I’ll need to go back again later to document the progress.

What I noticed on the first floor:

  • The old 1908 exterior wall that had become an interior wall separating the living part of the house with the enclosed back stairwell/porch has been removed;
  • A new subfloor has been installed in the old back porch area, making it level with the rest of the first floor.  Hooray!
  • Partial wall frames are up, outlining the area where the 4’ x 6’ bathroom will go, at the back of the house (within the “old” back porch area that is now being integrated with the rest of the interior living space).

Unfortunately, I’m housebound now with either food poisoning or a stomach bug of some sort, so I won’t be taking any pictures until tomorrow.

This weekend is going to be all about making the final decision on windows, which apparently can take anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks to come in.  Ayesh has been doing a TON of research and I’m picking up random new vocabulary terms, like “extruded” versus “rolled” aluminum, and have learned that there is a class action law suit against Pella casement windows, which has affected our comfort level with those products and may sway us to choose a different brand.

The biggest thing for us is that we want to choose the most energy efficient, (attractive, obviously) and best quality windows that we can afford.  Luckily, having the general contractor that we do, he knows people and has already proven that he is capable of getting good deals for us.  Plus, we plan to take advantage of the $1,500 federal tax credit opportunity for energy efficient home upgrades.

Wish us luck!

Share


%d bloggers like this: