I’m so glad I finally got around to switching out my seasonal clothes last week because it was only 32 degrees this morning when I walked the dog and will be a balmy 37-40 all day today. Brrrr!
Although I have more overall storage in the new house, I have less bedroom/clothes closet space than I used to. So I’ve been storing out-of-season items so I can better utilize the space I do have.
Hate swapping out your stuff? Not sure where to start? Here are my top tips:
- Do all your current laundry. Laugh if you want, but this simple first step will save you the later annoyance for having to drag out the ladder/schlep more items to the basement/etc. to add more items to your already tucked away storage boxes.
- Have medium, airtight, plastic storage containers on hand. I like clear ones so you can actually see what’s inside. Don’t go too big – clothes and shoes can get heavy. Or, if your only storage option is under the bed, or you are worried about moisture, invest in vacuum-seal storage bags that air-seal. If you are swapping out stuff already in storage, dump it all out next to your dryer and use those same containers. You’ll want to spin all your storage stuff in a quick “refresh” cycle before you put it back in your closet anyway – but you do that last.
- Clear off a large space (the entire bed, or all your floor space) as your “decision drop depot” and set out a couple of empty containers that you can quickly toss stuff into.
- Pull everything out of the closet you know you’re NOT going to wear this season and toss it all into one of three containers/piles:
- Give away
- Throw away
- Bag up all of your give away and throw away items and get them out of the way. Less stuff to think about. Yay!
- Now take everything from the store pile and set it all out by category first, before you pack them. I pile up all of my shirts, jackets, pants, pjs, work-out clothes, and shoes separately, and then pack like items together.
- Label everything! List on your labels what types of items are in that container. That way, if you need to go looking for a particular item later, you know exactly where to find it:
- SUMMER – Ts, Tanks & PJs
- SUMMER – Shorts & Skirts
- SPRING/FALL – Jackets, Pants, Capris
Now you have lots of room to put away all those “refreshed” clothes in your closet for this season! (Or shop to fill in the gaps – LOL!).